5 essay questions in each essay write a minimum of 250 words, but not more than 500 words
1) What were the key factors behind the rapid industrialization in the late nineteenth century in the United States? In what ways did this rapid change affect how individual citizens viewed economic success?
2) Consider the Civil Rights and Black Power Movements of the 1960s; in what ways were these movements successful? As part of your answer, you should consider: How were the civil rights and black power movements similar? How were they different? What effects did the Civil Rights and Black Power Movements have?
3) Consider the rise of conservativism in the 1970s and 1980s. Who made up the conservative coalition that brought President Nixon to power? How did Nixon appeal to conservatism and how did he depart from it? How did Reaganâ€™s victory in 1980 signal a victory for the New Right? What was Reaganomics and what were its most important long-term consequences? Assess the legacy of the conservative movement: what was it?
4) Assess the foreign policy of the United States from 1969 to 1989. How did the foreign policy goals of the Nixon, Carter and Reagan Administrations differ? What were their goals? How big of a part did anticommunism play in their foreign policy? What lead of the breakup of the Soviet Union and Communist-ruled Eastern Europe? How did the end of the Cold War contribute to Globalization? What was the role of the United States in the New World?
5) Assess the rapid changes that occurred within the United States from 1993 to the present. How did computers revolutionize life around the turn of the century? What role did the War on Terror play in changing American foreign policy during the presidency of George W. Bush? How did the election of Barack Obama effect American politics, society, and the United States relationship with the rest of the world?