Aggregate Community Windshield Survey
There are two parts to the windshield survey assignment. In Week 1 you are required to submit a draft of your survey. In Week 2 you will submit your final windshield survey based on feedback from your instructor and your continued work.
In a Microsoft Word document of 3-4 pages formatted in APA style, you will describe the aggregate and community in which the aggregate is located. Please note that the title and reference pages should not be included in the total page count of your paper.
Describe the Aggregate
Begin the assignment by describing your aggregate. Include the following information:
- Name of the aggregate
- Geographical location and size
- A brief history
- Basic vital statistics
- Crude birth rate, infant mortality rate, life expectancy, leading causes of death, and any other relevant statistical information related to the health of the aggregate from the windshield survey.
- Explain, giving at least two reasons, why you selected this particular aggregate for your Capstone project
With the use of public transportation or by driving a vehicle around the community, you can assess the common characteristics of the community of your selected aggregate.
Key observations to make during a windshield survey include the following:
- Age and condition of the homes in the community
- Location and condition of parks and other recreational areas
- Amount of space between homes and businesses
- Neighborhood hangouts
- Transportation in the community
- Quality of streets and sidewalks
- Types/numbers of stores and other businesses
- People out in the community
- Cleanliness of the community
- Billboards or other media displays
- Places of worship
- Availability of services—doctor, dentist, social centers, recreation centers, hospitals
On a separate references page, cite all sources using APA format. Helpful APA guides and resources are available in the South University Online Library. Below are guides that are located in the library and can be accessed and downloaded via the South University Online Citation Resources: APA Style page. The American Psychological Association website also provides detailed guidance on formatting, citations, and references at APA Style.
• APA Citation Helper
• APA Citations Quick Sheet
• APA-Style Formatting Guidelines for a Written Essay
• Basic Essay TemplateCapstone Project The Capstone project is a multipart project that spans ten weeks. The goal of the Capstone project is to select an aggregate (community or group of people), assess its health needs by conducting a risk assessment, develop a care plan for the aggregate, implement it, and evaluate its effectiveness. Each week, you will complete one phase of the project, building upon the work completed in the previous weeks. Your completed Capstone project is due in Week 10. This clinical experience provides an exciting learning opportunity as you progress to a different phase of the project each week. Students must participate in 150 hours of indirect and direct community health care (Indirect Care 110 hours and Direct Care 40 hours). Definitions Practice Experience: The term practice experiences is used in this document to refer to experiential learning in any setting where health care is delivered or health is influenced that allow for and require the student to integrate new practice related knowledge and skills. Direct care refers to nursing care activities provided at the point of care to patients or working with other healthcare providers that are intended to achieve specific health goals or achieve selected health outcomes. Direct care may be provided in a wide range of settings, including acute and critical care, long-term care, home health, community-based settings, and education settings (Suby, 2009; Upenieks et al., 2007, as cited in American Association of Colleges of Nursing [AACN], 2012). Indirect care refers to nursing decisions, actions, or interventions that are provided through or on behalf of patients. These decisions or interventions create the conditions under which nursing care or self-care may occur. Nurses might use administrative decisions, population or aggregate health planning, or policy development to affect health outcomes in this way. (Suby, 2009; Upenieks et al., 2007, as cited in AACN, 2012). Reference: American Association of Colleges of Nursing. (2012). Expectations for practice experiences in the RN to baccalaureate curriculum. Retrieved from http://www.aacnnursing.org/Portals/42/News/White-Papers/RN-BSN-Expectations-White-Paper.pdf?ver=2017-08-07-094117-570