Our body has several lines of defense to help protect us from pathogens. Our first line of defense includes the skin and mucous membranes. Both work hard to create a barrier to discourage pathogens and foreign substances from penetrating the body. However, some pathogens make their way through these strong barriers only to encounter our second line of defense: internal antimicrobial substances, phagocytes, natural killer cells, inflammation, and fever. It is important to understand how our body defends us against these disease-producing microbes.
Please choose only one of the following homeostatic imbalances to research for this assignment:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Grave’s disease
- Diabetes Insipidus
- Addison’s disease
- Cushing’s Syndrome
- Rheumatic Fever
- Infectious Mononucleosis
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Severe combined Immunodeficiency disease.
Once you have selected a disease, research it further and include the following:
- Disease description.
- Include at least one image that goes along with your description of the disease.
- Describe how the disease affects the anatomical structures of the body (how does it change those structures).
- Explain how the disease disrupts the physiological functions of the body (how does it change those functions).
- Describe how the body will attempt to “fight” the disease without medicine (i.e., hormonal changes, innate immune response, adaptive immune response: cell-mediated immunity, antibody-mediated immunity, etc.).
- Identify current medical treatments approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Identify additional holistic forms of treatment using reliable scientific resources.
- Describe how these treatments assist the body in fighting the disease.
Using the Unit 4 Assignment PowerPoint Template, create a presentation. You will take on the role of a medical professional and will present this information to a community group that wants to learn more about the disease. Your presentation should be creative and provide clarity on the chosen topic as your audience is not familiar with the topic.
- Slides should be brief and bulleted.
- The PowerPoint presentation should contain approximately nine slides in length – the equivalent of a 10-minute presentation.
- Be sure to include the following: a title slide, in-text citations (where applicable) and a reference slide.
- You are required to use the notes section found below each slide. This should contain your script that includes all of the information you would say if you were actually giving the presentation.
- Include at least one image (with citations) as appropriate to create an effective and professional presentation. Images should only add to the presentation and not replace typed information on each slide.
- Use APA style for all citations and references.
- Avoid plagiarism and put all information into your own words. Do not cut and paste directly from the source in the slides.
- Make certain that your presentation is free of grammar and spelling errors.