There are many critical international issues happening in the world today that are directly related to historical events or eras weâ€™ve discussed in this class. For this assignment you must find a recent news article (from a credible source â€“ email me if you are unsure of a source) about a current event and write a paper about how the article relates to an event or era discussed in this class. This is not an informative paper, but rather you must use critical thinking to discuss how the current event is related to the history weâ€™ve discussed and how it differs. Compare and contrast the present with the past using course readings, lectures, and outside sources if necessary to supplement your paper. The supplemental sources should not be the main focus of your paper; your analysis of the newspaper article chosen is.Cite everything with footnotes (with full bibliographic information in them).
*** Your answer must be about 5 pages (no more, no less), typed, DOUBLE SPACED, and 12-point Times New Roman font, one-inch margins. You will be graded on content, grammar, punctuation, and following directions. Remember, this is 15% of your final grade; it should be a well thought out response with a beginning, middle, and end. ***
Due 11:50 tonight
- Be specific. I want you to really think about this article and your response to it and how it fits into our course.
- Use examples to illustrate a general claim, not as a replacement for them. Examples by themselves tend towardselection bias and hasty generalizations.
- I am interested in content, not clever rhetorical flourish. Thus, avoid filler material… DO NOT USE BLOCKQUOTES FROM THE ARTICLES OR READINGS. Direct quotes should be no longer than 2 sentences,MAXIMUM.
- IF YOU DO NOT CITE, EVEN WHEN YOU PARAPHRASE, IT WILL BE CONSIDERED PLAGIARISM. PLAGIARIZED PAPERS WILL BE PENALIED EITHER BY AN F ON THE PAPER OR THE COURSE AND WILL BE REPORTED TO THE DEAN.
- PROOFREAD YOUR PAPER. You will be marked off for typos, punctuation errors, and/or major disorganization.
- The heading of your paper should be your name ONLY.
- Use footnotes with full bibliographic information, including URLs
- 1-inch margins all around
- The paper is to be at least 5 FULL pages long. Not less. (No cover page).
- Choose a credible source and avoid 24-hour news channels (i.e. CNN, FoxNews, MSNBC). If you are confusedabout a source, please donâ€™t hesitate to contact me).