Bottom of Form
for this assignment, you are going to play the role of histologist and conduct some cell and tissue exploration. Your goal is to try to change Jakeâ€™s perspective that there may be hope for the cure of cancer. You will compose presentation slides that illustrate why we need to study the cells and tissues to understand cancer and its treatments.
You should spend approximately 4 hours on this assignment.
- You should create presentation slides (in PowerPoint, Prezi, or any other presentation software you feel comfortable using) that include the following information:
- Choose two organelles, describe their structure and function, and explain the functional relationship between the two organelles.
- Cite two examples of tissues, and mention their specific location in the body; explain the relationship between their structure and the particular role they have in that location.
- Explain how the abnormal function of cellular organelles can cause medical conditions. Cite an example.
- Provide a position as to why we need to study the cellâ€™s reproduction to understand cancer and its treatments. You are encouraged to post diagrams, pictures, or any other visual aid to support your position.
Module 2 Assignment: Research and Report
This activity is going to push you to think like a practicing medical professional. You should take into account what you learned in the Discuss and Debate assignment, but you will also conduct your own research for this assignment. Choose a cancer that most interests you (e.g., breast cancer, colon cancer, skin cancer, etc.). Investigate the type of cancer, and identify one root cause for this type of cancer at the cellular organelle level. You will trace the path to describe how an organelle dysfunction could lead to this type of cancer.You should spend approximately 3.5 hours on this assignment.
- Choose a cancer about which you are passionate or in which you are interested.
- Prepare a written paper to the American Cancer Society of at least 500 words that includes the following:
- Examine what went wrong with the normal cellular function to cause that neoplasm.
- Explain how the cell reproduction rate and differentiation are kept within the normal range to avoid the formation of neoplasms.
- Regarding this cancer, choose either the perspective of Jake or Jennifer, and tell us whether you think this cancer may some day be cured.
- Your paper should be formatted as a proper research paper with an introduction and conclusion. Do not simply follow the bullet points above, but really think about what you have learned and how that relates to other material we have covered, and knowledge you have from other courses you may have taken.
- All references must be cited using APA Style format.