Prompt for Research Novel Paper on Frankenstein
For the Research Novel Paper, you will write an argument about Frankenstein following the below requirements:
- Use MLA standards for formatting and citations etc.
- Type in a standard, easily readable 12pt. font
- Type double-spaced in black ink
- 7 full-length pages, including Works Cited on page 8
- 4 peer reviewed critical articles from scholarly journals such as found in journal indexes and databases like JSTOR or MLA Bibliography etc.
- If you access the articles from the above sources or through a word search of the Library home page, using the tab for articles
- Include at least 8 quotes from Frankenstein
- Do not use paraphrases or summaries of quotes
- Do not use block quotes (see MLA)
- Properly introduce each quote
- After each quotation from both the novel and critical journal articles, discuss it thoroughly in relation to Frankenstein and your argument—explain the significance/meaning of the quote
- Use MLA guidelines for parenthetically citing all quotations and for your Works Cited
You will primarily be graded upon whether or not you are providing a critical argument about the novel—the research paper should be a literary analysis and NOT a book report or review. You will write an introduction with a thesis statement arguing a point about Frankenstein. Incorporate quotes from the required critical sources and novel as a part of your analysis and argument. Your paper must have a narrow, focused thesis that argues a point that reasonable people could disagree with and that is supported by the text (Frankenstein). Your paper should discuss your argument consistently and coherently throughout the paper.