You are working in a rehab facility and a family comes to you for assistance in dealing with their 19 year old son who has recently been charged with felony possession of methamphetamines. They report that his friends recently started a lab to alleviate the poverty in their family. Upon further discussion, you find out that there are many relatives in the family with similar problems. However, there are also those who stopped using abruptly and those who have never used at all. You also find out that there is a propensity to mental illness in the family.
- In 5 paragraphs, address the following:
- Given your understanding of genetics and environmental factors, what do you think the core of the problem is with this client? Explain.
- Do you think his problems are more genetic or environmental in nature? Why?
- For example, is it peer pressure, ease of access, inquisitiveness, or a genetic predisposition that is driving his behavior? Explain.
- What is one argument for genetic predisposition that you think best applies to this scenario (you must choose one)? Explain.
- What is one argument for environmental factors that you think best applies to this scenario (you must choose one)? Explain.