Hackers can have various motives, many of which are similar to the motives for committing traditional crimes:
- Status/validation: Hackers seeking to make a name for themselves
- Monetary gain: Hackers wanting to generate revenue for themselves or deny revenue to a target
- Ideology: Hackers using malicious software to carry out activist attacks to promote a particular agenda; may include hacktivists, nationalists, or nation-state actors
Answer the following question(s):
- What type of hacker do you think concerns corporations the most, and why?
- What type of hacker do you think concerns the federal government the most, and why?