Technology can be both a help and a hindrance, depending on why it is selected and how it is implemented. This is as true in human resource management (HRM) as in other fields.
Unit 5 Project: Technology Applications: Human Resource Information Systems Planning
This third unit offers one assessment – a Project, which is to be submitted by the end of the unit. This is worth 40% of the overall module grade.
HR professionals cannot be experts in all aspects of technology or information resources. They must, however, be knowledgeable enough to assess the needs of their organisations and plan effectively and then commission or contract for the appropriate services. In this Project, you will investigate some of the technology and human resource information systems (HRISs) modern companies are using to support the HR function. You will then evaluate how these might be used to enhance HRM practice. You will analyse and plan for the technology and information resource needs of a new HR department after a merger. You should consider what will best assist you both in the merger itself and moving forward as a new company.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review your Learning Resources with a focus on HR-supporting technology and HRISs.
- Synthesise the information related to HRISs.
- Locate three HRIS technology firms that provide information technology (IT)/information systems (IS) solutions specific to HRM.
- Review the cases and solutions they present to help sell their services.
- Reflect on ways that organisations you have been involved with could better use HRIS technology.
- Review the organisational instructions provided in the Unit 3 Project area.
To complete your Unit 5 Project:
Submit a paper in which you address the following:
- Analyse how the HRIS solutions you investigated could be used to aid staff recruitment, development, training and/or retention.
- Assess how HRIS solutions might be used strategically in organisations with which you are familiar.
- Propose how technology and information systems could be used strategically to enhance the cost efficiency and operational effectiveness of the new HR department (you proposed in the Unit 3 Project).
- Fully state and justify any choices or assumptions that you make using the suggested resources for this unit as well as your own research. Include references to any sources you have used. All sources should be cited using Harvard referencing style.
Your total submission should be approximately 1,200–1,500 words in length.
In this section, you will examine human resources consulting tools for your chosen scenario. You will analyse the types of data that can be gathered both from sources within the organisation and from the external environment and consider how these could be used to support evidence-based decision-making for downsizing or restructuring. Examine the types of software, measurement and analytical tools and information systems that are available for human resource managers. You will determine the data/metrics needed and how the human resource manager would collect, analyse and interpret this information. Evaluate the options you research to select one that would be most beneficial to your selected organisation.
Advice on word count: Submissions that range from 10% below to 10% above the recommended word count are acceptable. Students should recognise that assignment submissions that fall outside these parameters may be marked down. This restriction encourages the development of a concise writing style, as assignment quality is likely to suffer given the potential for overly verbose submissions. The policy is available to review on page 16 of the University of Roehampton Online Policies document, which can be found here.
Assessment and Grading
This Project submission accounts for 50% of your grade for this module. Review the Project Rubric for information on how your assignment will be graded.