Step 1: Obtaining IP Address of the Host (10 points)
You are going to conduct a vulnerability analysis on the host running the Kali Linux VM which you previously installed.
- Terminal the Windows command prompt if you are using Windows or Terminal in Utilities if you are using Mac OSX
- To determine your IP address of your host, type ipconfig for Windows or ifconfig for Mac OSX FreeBSD Unix
- Take a screenshot output on the terminal (3 points)
- Answer the following questions.
- What is the IPv4 Address of your host? (2 point)
- What is the IPv4 Address of the router connecting which is connecting your computer to the Internet? (2 point)
- What adapter is your computer using to connect to the network? (3 points)
Step 2: Using nmap on Kali Linux for Vulnerability Analysis (10 points)
Kali Linux is a Debian Linux operating system pre-installed and configured information security tools for penetration testing and vulnerability assessment.
- Launch Kali Linux in VirtualBox VM
- To launch nmap, click Applications and then Vulnerability Analysis
- In the Kali Linux terminal type nmap -v IPv4 _Address where IPv4 _Address is the IP address for your host which was identified in Step 1 above
- Answer the following questions:
- What ports are currently open on your host? (2 points)
- What services are using those open ports? (5 points)
- Can you associate the services and ports with the applications installed you host, which could be using them? (3 points)
- Which applications identified in (c) above, should be running on your computer and which shouldnâ€™t? Give a reason for your answer. (5 points)