The purpose of this assignment is to learn how to identify and effectively manage conflicts that arise in care delivery settings resulting in better management of patient care, including appropriate delegation. You will gain insight into conflict management strategies and develop a plan to collaborate with a potential nurse leader about the conflict and its impact in a practice setting.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Completion of this assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
CO1: Apply leadership concepts, skills, and decision making in the provision of high-quality nursing care, healthcare team management, and the oversight and accountability for care delivery in a variety of settings. (PO2)
CO3: Participate in the development and implementation of imaginative and creative strategies to enable systems to change. (PO7)
CO6: Develop a personal awareness of complex organizational systems, and integrate values and beliefs with organizational mission. (PO7)
CO7: Apply leadership concepts in the development and initiation of effective plans for the microsystems and system-wide practice improvements that will improve the quality of healthcare delivery. (PO2 and PO3)
Submit your paper by Saturday, 11:59 p.m. MT, end of Week 3.
This assignment is worth 200 points.
- Read Finkelman (2016), Chapter 13: Improving Teamwork: Collaboration, Coordination, and Conflict Resolution, section on Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, pp. 324-333. Watch tutorial below.
- Write a 5-7 page paper (not including the title or References pages). Follow APA format. Consult your APA manual, and consider using the APA resources provided by Chamberlain. Cite the course textbook and two scholarly sources.
- Cite the course textbook and two scholarly sources. Scholarly references must be published within the last 5 years, from the Chamberlain library only and must provide the permalink.
- Review the information provided in our library of how to search for journal articles (Links to an external site.)
- Review the information provided in our library of how to locate and copy a journal permalink (Links to an external site.)
- You are required to complete this assignment using the productivity tools required by Chamberlain University, which is Microsoft Office Word 2013 (or later version), or Windows and Office 2011 (or later version) for MAC. You must save the file in the “.docx” format. Do NOT save as Word Pad. A later version of the productivity tool includes Office 365, which is available to Chamberlain students for FREE by downloading from the student portal at http://my.chamberlain.edu (Links to an external site.) Click on the envelope at the top of the page.
- Observe nurses in a care delivery setting. Identify a recurring conflict with the potential to negatively impact patient care. This should be from your practice setting or prelicensure experiences.
- Provide details of what happened, including who was involved, what was said, where it occurred, and what was the outcome that led you to decide the conflict was unresolved.
- REVIEW AND DISCUSS the four stages of conflict as found in Finkelman. IDENTIFY AND EXPLAIN how the stages of conflict relate to the example in your workplace.Do not use direct quotes.
- Describe how you would collaborate with a nurse leader to reach consensus on the best strategy to deal with the conflict. Besides the textbook, the paper needs to summarize conflict resolutions from two scholarly articles.
- Describe the rationale for selecting the best strategy.
- Provide a summary or conclusion about this experience or assignment and how you may deal with conflict more effectively in the future.00:00 Hi class, I just wanted to give you some information on your Week 3 assignment, the conflict resolution paper. You can always email me privately or put a question in the question and answer discussion question. But I just wanted to go over some things that may be of interest to you. So here we are at Module 3, the Week 3 assignment, and I’m gonna scroll down, this does go through Turnitin. [BLANK_AUDIO] So you will see that as you maneuver through the paperwork here. [BLANK_AUDIO] So as we scroll down, you’ll see about how you’re going to put it into the dropbox. But the purpose of the assignment is for you to learn how to manage conflict. They’re all over. They happen at work, they happen at home, they happen on the roadside, so conflict resolution and strategies are going to be part of everyday life, but this is basically how to do it at the workplace. These are the course outcomes that we’re going to complete by doing this assignment. So first off, the directions are reading Chapter 13 of Finkelman. Now it’s going to be a five to seven page paper, that does not include the title page or the reference page. And you want to follow APA format, you can look at your manual. Also you can go to the APA information that I’m going to share with you later. You want to use the course textbook and two scholarly articles. Scholarly references must be published within the last five years from the Chamberlain Library, and you must provide the permalink. If you don’t know how to search the library and find articles, if you click on this hyperlink it’ll take you there, also this hyperlink will tell you how to do permalinks. [BLANK_AUDIO] You need to use Microsoft Word 2013 or a later version. If you don’t have Microsoft Word because you have a Mac, I have a Mac also, you can go to Office 365, to this link, sign in there. And at the top of the page it’ll show you how to get to free software that you can download for a Mac or for a PC, if your PC didn’t have it. Okay, so, [BLANK_AUDIO] You want to observe a nurse in a care delivery setting. You wanna identify a conflict that happens over and over again that may potentially affect patient care. And it could be from where you’re working now or maybe in a pre-licensure setting that you had before. So you wanna provide all of the detail. What was said, who was involved, where did it occur? What was the outcome and was the conflict resolved? You also want to review and discuss the four stages of conflict as you find in Finkelman. You don’t wanna just copy and paste what you found in Finkelman, you wanna review them and discuss them. Then you’re going to look at ways to collaborate with a nurse leader to reach a consensus on how what kind of strategy can you use to solve this conflict. So this is where the two scholarly articles are going to come in. Then you wanna describe the rationale for selecting the best strategy and provide a summary or conclusion about your experience or the assignment, and how you’ll deal with conflict better in the future. So there is a great little source for you to go, Crediting Sources Made Simple. This tool is set for you, you click on it, it’ll help you with your APA referencing and crediting. [BLANK_AUDIO] And then let’s go over the rubric. Now a lot of students asked me, well, what do I use for a heading? I always suggest that you just go to the rubric and pick out the different areas you’re gonna be graded on. So here’s the description of conflict, now isn’t that a great topic? That’s a great heading for you to use. Then you can go down to the four stages of conflict, that’s another great heading. Strategy for conflict resolution, another good choice for a heading, and then your conclusion or your summary. So let’s go back up here and look and see, sorry if I’m making anybody dizzy. But let’s go back up here and look and see what is needed in the rubric. This is worth 60 points, or 53 points, or 48 points, or not so good. So you wanna go down here and see what is listed. So for 60 points you need to give an introduction paragraph, you don’t need to put the heading on it as introduction. And then you wanna thoroughly describe the observation of the conflict. State if there are any negative outcomes and identify the specific type of conflict that you observed. [BLANK_AUDIO] This is where you wanna put in what happened, who was involved, where it occurred, all of those things. And then say whether the conflict was unresolved or was it resolved? So then you wanna go down to the stages of conflict, this is worth 40 points for an A. You wanna thoroughly outline what the four stages are and how those stages relate to your example. Then the strategy is another big point, 60 points, so you want to give an excellent detail about the strategy. You can use your textbook, but this is where your two scholarly articles come in. You wanna use two scholarly articles that talk about strategies to resolve conflict. Then your conclusion is worth 20 points. You wanna sum up what the paper said, what the problem was, how did you resolve it? How are you gonna deal with conflict in the future? Okay, 10 points for writing, using grammar, always use spellcheck. Check into Grammarly, it’s a great resource and it’s free. And your APA is only worth 10 points. Why is it only worth 10 points, because 80% of this paper is about conflict and how you resolve it. So, you can’t fail the assignment with only losing 10 points to APA. It’s very important, you wanna make sure you give credit to where you got the information. But APA is not as important as the 80 points about the subject matter and how you solve the conflict. Okay, there are late deductions, it’s 10% per day, but if something comes up, please let me know. If you have any questions, please contact me. Have a great day!