I have two stories to read:
1- story #1 “The Lottery” by Jackson
2- Story # 2“The Cask of Amontillado”(1846) by Edgar Allan Poe
Then, I have to choose any 4 questions (out of the 9) for each story and write 100 words respond for each question with very simple writing. The stories can be found online.
The total you answer 8 questions ( 4 questions for each story, you can answer the same questions for each story if you like)
1. What examples of antiquated rituals like those in “The Lottery” do you know of in our lives?
2. Is Montressor insane? How do you know?
3. For almost two pages, Tessie complains that it isn’t fair. Her last words are “it isn’t right.” What is the implication of this shift?
4. What is the implication of “someone gave little Davy Hutchinson a few pebbles”?
5. What clues does Ms. Jackson give us about the real nature of the Lottery?
6. Why is “The Cask of Amontillado” written in first person? What does first person give the reader that third person wouldn’t?
7. What significance does the following line have? “My heart grew sick—on account of the dampness of the catacombs.”
8. What do the settings of these two stories lead the audience to expect/feel?
9. What is Montressor’s definition of revenge? Does he get this kind of revenge on Fortunado?