1. You will begin by choosing, reading and annotating a detailed news article related to a
U.S. economic event which impacts U.S. economy in significant ways. The economic
eventâ€™s impact be at the local, state or national level.
2. Next, you will write a paper about the importance of the event described in the
article. Your paper should be four to five paragraphs in length and 12-point font and
3. You will write a total of three papers based on four different current events each
1. Introductory Paragraph – Summary (20 points): In your own words and not using first
person, type an introductory paragraph, which summarizes the article in six to eight
ï‚· Include the articleâ€™s title, the author(s), the source (i.e., NY Times) and date
ï‚· You may use a maximum of two quotes from the article in your summary.
2. Body Paragraphs – Importance (30 points): Type a minimum of two paragraphs
discussing why you chose the article and how it significantly impacts U.S. society. Each
paragraph should have a topic sentence and six to eight sentences long.
ï‚· Think about how the event effects U.S. society and its institutions.
ï‚· Explain why the event is important. In other words, answer the â€œSo what?â€ and
â€œWhy should I care?â€ questions about your event.
3. Concluding Paragraph – Reflection and 3 Questions (20 points): Your six to eight
sentence concluding paragraph is where you should evaluate the causes and effects of
the current event. You should also write three original and relevant questions about the
article you would like answered.
The articles must have been published no more than one week before the paper due
date. You are expected to see me if you need help choosing a trusted and in-depth news
ï‚· Examples of quality news sources include, but are not limited to: The LA Times,
The NY Times, The Wall Street Journal, Newsela, The Washington Post and The
ï‚· Do not use â€œHeadline Newsâ€ sources like CNN.com, BuzzFeed, Yahoo news,
which lack the necessary detail that will allow you to write a quality paper.