You will write a 10-pg paper about the demographics and related health status or needs of a county. Include the following information in your paper:
- Location of your geographic area (include map).
- Describe the demographic characteristics of the areaâ€™s population (e.g. age, sex, race/ethnicity, ancestry information, language spoken at home, citizenship, ability to speak English), income, employment status, and disability.
- Compare your areaâ€™s demographics to that of the state where the county is located.
- Based on the information you find, discuss probable health status issues, health care use or needs of the community (This should be just 1-2 pages and can be based on what you have read in Pol and Thomas and other readings. You do not need to research this.)
Your paper should include tables and figures from health and demographic data sources.
Below are resources you can use:
- Home page of the U.S. Census Bureau
- Census on-line database
- National Library of Medicineâ€™s on-line databases including Medline and Popline
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- CDC home page
- National Center for Health Statistics
- National Institutes of Health
- Federal Interagency Council on Statistical Policy-some county level data regarding birth and death statistics
- Immigration data
- Database of books, bibliographics, and journal articles about population topics
- Govt. Information Sharing Project Oregon State University
- Florida state data
- Florida hospital discharge data
- Florida Department of Health
- Univ. of Florida Bureau of Economic and Business Research
- Population Reference Bureau home page
- Social Science Data Analysis Network-wealth of links
- Demography virtual library
- World Health Organization home page
- Wealth of demographic statistics and links
- United Nations Development Programme
- United Nations Population Fund
- Census Bureauâ€™s international database