Environmental Toxins related to the food system
Pesticides in Food
Organic vs. conventional
Lead (this is what has been contaminating the water in Flint Michigan and is a common contaminant in the food system)
1. According to the first link, what chemicals are we being exposed to in our food and what are the sources?
2. What are 3 things you can do to reduce your toxic exposure in foods.
3. What is the “dirty dozen” and “clean 15”. Which products on each list surprised you the most.
4. What are the biggest changes for the 2019 Dirty Dozen list this year?
5. What are some of the benefits of organic packaged/ processed foods vs. conventional according to the third link.
6. What are the health risks of lead contamination and what are the most common exposures related to the food system?
Glyphosate: A cautionary tale
This link reviews the studies that are associated with glyphosate toxicity which is the active ingredient in Round Up the week killer used with the GMO’s and also by schools, governments and many household gardeners. The EPA continues to maintain this chemical is safe but Monsanto/ Bayer have now lost 2 law suits and there are 1000’s more sitting in the court system regarding this chemical. See what you think…
This is the EPA’s information on glyphosate
This video is the second half of Zach Bush’s interview in GMO’s Revealed. You watched the first half in the food system section but in this section, he explains the toxic effects of glyphosate.
This is a link to the studies associated with glyphosate toxicity. You are not required to read any of them but I want to show you the volume as well as the health issues associated with this chemical that has been used in such volume around the world, but especially in the US.
This article talks about the first law suit against Monsanto with regards to Round Up. The settlement at the time was $289 million but it was retried and the plaintiff was awarded $80 million in the second trial.
1. How does glyphosate work from a toxin standpoint (please give the explanation from the video by Dr. Zach Bush).
2. Why does the water solubility of Round Up make it such an issue for human health and the environment?
3. According to the 3rd link, what are some of the health issues associated with glyphosate toxicities?
4. What is the EPA’s stance on glyphosate?
5. According to the last link, what are the issues associated with Round Up/ glyphosate?
6. In 2015, the World Health Organization (WHO) based on the recommendations of the IARC issued a warning regarding glyphosate, what was the reaction of Monsanto/ Bayer based on this article and what were the marketing tactics they used to counter this information?
7. After reading all of this information, how do you feel about the EPA’s stance on glyphosate and their ability to protect the public given corporate interests?
Tapped is a video that really hits on the multiple levels of toxic exposure that is associated with our food system in terms of pollutants, manufacturing, waste, and exposure. The toxins issues have been interwoven into all of the other subjects so you may get a question in the environmental section or even in the GMO’s with regards to an example of environmental toxins or damage to the environment specifically from this movie.
1. How has the bottled water industry affected the municipal drinking water. Please include an example from the reference on Flint Michigan in your answer.
2. According to the video, what are the environmental and health ramifications associated with the manufacturing of the plastic bottles?
3. What are BPA’s and how do they affect our health based on the video?
4. What are the ramifications of the increased waste in the environment in terms of the oceans (please give 3 specific examples from the video)?
5. Based on all of this information, what are your thoughts on the waste, especially with regards to single use containers, with in the entire food system. Please give 3 examples to support your answer.