Attention Wizard Kim.
Week 7 Discussion: Expansion of Mental Health or Substance Abuse Services Business Plan.
5 Pages. Please use the Resources.
- Week 7: Trends & Issues in Executive Management for Health Care Administrators
New Opportunities in Behavioral Health II
As you examined last week, behavioral health services have been expanded under provisions set forth in the passage of the ACA. For the health care executive, adhering to the provisions of expanded behavioral health services reflects both an opportunity and a challenge for the management of a health care organization. As a current or future health care executive, how might you initiate the expansion of behavioral health services in your health care organization or one with which you are familiar?
1. This week, you continue your examination of expanding behavioral health services in health care organizations. You continue the development of your business plan for expanded mental health or substance abuse services and present your business plan in the Discussion for this week.
· Evaluate business plans for expanded behavioral health services in health care organizations.
This page contains the Learning Resources for this week. Be sure to scroll down the page to see all of this week’s assigned Learning Resources. To access select media resources, please use the media player below.
Note: To access this week’s required library resources, please click on the link to the Course Readings List, found in the Course Materials section of your Syllabus.
Albright, B. (2014). The ACA and behavioral health: A look ahead. Behavioral Healthcare, 34. (2), 36–40. Note: Retrieved from Walden Library databases.
Beronio, K., Glied, S., & Frank, R. (2014). How the Affordable Care Act and mental health parity and Addiction Equity Act expand coverage of behavioral health care. Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research, 41(4), 410–428. Note: Retrieved from Walden Library databases.
Buck, J. A. (2011). The looming expansion and transformation of public substance abuse treatment under the affordable care act. Health Affairs, 30(8), 1402–1410. Note: Retrieved from Walden Library databases.
Coffey, M. J., & Coffey, C. E. (2016). There is no health(care) without mental health(care). In the Society for Healthcare Strategy and Market Development of the American Hospital Association (Ed.), Futurescan healthcare trends and implications: 2016–2021 (pp. 43–46). Chicago, IL: Health Administration Press.
Garfield, R. L., Lave, J. R., & Donohue, J. M. (2010). Health reform and the scope of benefits for mental health and substance use disorder services. Psychiatric Services, 61(11), 1081–1086. Note: Retrieved from Walden Library database.
Ogundipe, B., Alam, F., Gazula, L, Olagbemiro, Y., Osiezagha, K., Bailey, R.K., & Richie, W.D. (2015). Remaking the American health care system: A positive reflection on the Affordable Care Act with emphasis on mental health care. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, 26(1), 49-61.
Discussion Part ( 5 pages)
Expansion of Mental Health or Substance Abuse Services Business Plan
When adhering to guidelines set forth under legal mandates for health care reform, health care executives must weigh the opportunities and challenges of implementing new health service initiatives within the context of their health care organization. To what degree will new services be offered? What target population will be best served by expanded offerings? Are new staff members, pieces of equipment, or facilities required for expanding the types of health services being offered through the business development plan?
1. Questions such as these reflect just a fraction of the types of considerations health care executives need to keep in mind when developing and presenting to the board of directors a business plan for new health services in a health care organization.
2. For this Discussion, you will create a PowerPoint presentation using the assignment submitted in Week 6. The Week 7 PowerPoint presentation assignment is an assignment that uses the Week 6 assignment; Week 7 is an assignment. Using the week 6 assignment, you submitted in Week 6 create and PowerPoint presentation for your classmates to review. As you review each of your classmates’ presentations, reflect on the strengths and weaknesses of the recommendations in their presentations.
By Day 3
Post your individual PowerPoint presentation and begin a review of your classmates’ presentations.
By Day 7
Continue in the Discussion thread by posting a critique that assesses the strengths and weaknesses of at least two of the PowerPoint presentations you reviewed. Provide a recommendation on how each colleague might improve his or her business development plan for their healthcare organization. Be specific and provide examples.
Submission and Grading Information
To access your rubric:
Week 7 Discussion Rubric
Post by Day 3 and Respond by Day 7: To participate in this Discussion Week 7.